14 October 2011

Favourite Things Friday

I have been struggling a bit with FTF the last few weeks I have too many things on my mind.  To pin point a FT has been difficult ..... oh there have been FT but my mind is racing so much lately that by the time Friday comes it has all gone.  A couple of things have been crossed off the list this week so I am starting to settle down a bit now and I have been doing a bit to much of my FTF which is reading.

I have to admit I am a shocker when it comes to reading... its a bit like a drug, or that cake sitting in the fridge... you know... ok I'll just read for 1/2 and hour... oh maybe another 5 minutes and before I know it is 2am.  So when I get like this I have to go Cold Turkey so I banned myself from the library for a while and I will not be downloading any books from itunes or kindle. 

So what is my drug of choice, well it is Sci-Fi Fantasy, other genre's I am fine with can just read for 1/2 and hour and then put it down go to sleep but give me a good Sci-Fi or Fantasy novel and I am a lost cause.  My introduction to Sci Fi was John Wyndham as a kid, Day of the Triffids then I went on to read all of his novels.  

I have to admit that I hated reading when I was in high school but once I started working, I had to do something on the bus trip to and from work and books were cheap back then and I filled my bookshelves with them.  Back then I was into Anne McCaffrey  novels.  

Yesterday I finished another novel by Robin Hobb, she usually writes Trilogies and luckily for me the latest one isn't out yet otherwise I would still be inthralled.   Though I admit to looking today into another one of her Trilogies that I have yet to read.... but I think I have too much to do in the next week before we go on our trip, maybe I will get the first one to read on the plane.  

Maybe this week I will just read a classic... again, I know how they all end and I can pick them up or put them down whenever I want.  

So now you know I am a bit of a geek, if you hadn't already guessed it by my love and need of technology this would confirm it.  

Head on over to Mrs P for more FTF


12 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Day of the Triffids and all John Wyndham's were favourites of mine too.

Unknown said...

I am the same exact way with reading. I sit down with a book and a cup of tea around nine pm, and before I know it, it's one am and my tea's gone cold.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I am not a scifi fan but I think what ever is your favourites when it comes to books is a wonderful thing and I am glad you get so much pleasure from your reading. Great FTF.

thea said...

Great FTF .. my favorites are light mysteries. I may have to read one of the ones you recommend as well.

Tricia said...

I am the same way! When I start a good book, I just can't put it down. My favorite is Orson Scott Card. Love him!

Pip said...

I'm the same if I have a good book, nothing will get done until I've finished it. Anne McCaffrey books were favourites of mine too.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I have to reward myself with reading. I can relate to the obsessive behaviour that reading produces!!!

So glad you've discovered your love of books even after high school!

Have a great trip!

Petra said...

I too hated reading in school. What was I thinking? My problem now is that I read too many books at one time. I have about six+ that I need to finish!

FloS said...

I love all the books of Robin Hobb !! So wonderful stories !! Have a good time with the young apprentice and his wolf ! ;)
Florence

Shay said...

I love reading too.(Does that make me a geek?) It takes me away from whatever is going on in RL and transports me somewhere else.

I know a lot of people don't read unless they have to and I think they're missing something wonderful!

I can totally relate to this being one of your favourite things.

Kate said...

Good books are such treasures, even if we end up staying past our bed time. Great FTF.

Marg said...

I'm the same way, once I'm engrossed in a book, nothing else happens until I've finished it. That's why I don't read as much these days. I save books for holidays, when i have all the time in the world.