07 November 2012

3 days with Kathy Doughty and the 15 minute challenge


 I have just had the most fantastic weekend and day with Kathy Doughty.  To say I am going to look at fabric differently is an understatement.

And that stash of templates I have I am going to start using.

I am also going to be shopping for lots of big focal prints.  And paying more attention to the light medium and dark, and I am going to make a design wall.

2 new quilts are started, Soul Searching from the weekend class which was just working with your stash though I did purchase a couple of pieces of fabric.   I have 4 colours ready to sew but I need to chop up and prepare a heap more neutral blocks to go with them.


 The second quilt is the star burst block.   I admit I did have a pile of fabric in my bag, but Kathy bought out a few interesting fabrics from the shop and I went with one of those to use as my focal fabric and quickly (thanks to the class on the weekend) pulled a combination of fabrics for my first couple of blocks.

The quilts on show are from Kathy's new book.  The stripped one is from Quilters Companion.  They are all amazing up close and the fussy cutting in some of the blocks looks just amazing.

As far as yesterday and the weekend were concerned I romped the 15 minute challenge in.  I one day of not sewing on Wednesday, but apart from that I have kept my deadlines bubbling along and even did a couple of hours last night on my embroidery.



Today I am heading for another class this time with Wendy Williams and doing wool embroidery.  I have seen the stash of valdani threads that Lorraine has got in and I know the card is going to get a work out today.  

Head on over to Kate's to see who else has met the challenge this week.






5 comments:

Sue said...

Looks great Amanda! Glad you had a good time at the class Im so jealous!!!!! Hope todays class is great as well. Look forward to seeing you show n tell next get together. Cheers S

thea said...

Way to go on the challenge. A lot of progress this week. How have the classes been?

Kate said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun. Hope your class to today is as fun. Way to rock the 15 minute challenge.

Shay said...

Sounds like you had a blast Amanda and got a ton of new ideas. Classes are wonderful for inspiration and making you see things in a new light.

Glad you enjoyed it.

libbyquilter said...

you really had a great week and your extra enthusiasm is coming through loud and clear~!
good for you~!!!!~
i'm thinking that the next best thing to buying new fabric is being able to see your stashed fabric with new eyes . . .

:-)
libbyQ