03 October 2013

September is Over for Another Year and I survived

September is our busiest time at work.  We have to review all our big clients and that together with the fact that the company implemented a new computer system in July that still doesn't do all the stuff that the old system did automatically means the last 3 months have been pretty stressful.

About a week and a half ago I hit the wall, I had an infection in my eye for 5 days, and the stuff the Dr gave me was making it worse/not doing anything other than blurring my vision  and I was getting about 3 hours of sleep a night,  The boss was out of the office most of the week and by Friday I was a weeping mess.

That was also the day I decided to use something else on my eye that my husband likes to refers to as snake oil, because I keep telling him to use it on everything from pimples to rashes and sore throats .. and it works so I decided to use it on my eye.  Within 24 hours the swelling was gone and the pain and I had a decent night's sleep.  I think I slept for about 12 hours.  Monday last week I got to work and I wasn't stressed at all.  I ended up working everyday last week and extra hours each day to get through the end of the month and come Friday I was tired but fine.

It is amazing how sleep helps you deal with stuff and when it doesn't happen how messed up you can get.

It's school holidays and I have a few days off including an extra long weekend next week to recharge.  

It is the last term of Primary School for Maestro ... this year hasn't been the best for him, his teacher can best be described as a piece of work (I have a few other adjectives to describe her best not put in writing) ... and I will just be glad when he is out of there.  He doesn't want to go to his graduation and wanted to pull out of SHIP next year because of the treatment he has received ... but we have talked him round I think.  I thought we were the only one that felt that way but I spoke to another mother and she was at her wits end as well.  It was amazing the change at the end of last term when a student teacher was taking the class, marking his work and giving a bit of praise.  He aced all the assignments went above and beyond and got an overall Outstanding without all the putdowns that he had been getting all year from the SHE DEVIL.

And despite this Maestro got notified that a silent film he and 3 others made at school got shortlisted in the Silent Film Competition, so we head off to watch the finalists in a couple of weeks.  He has also put his name down for SAPSASA Tennis and he looks set to make the team, so the next term will be busy.  It looks like the SHIP class he applied for will be going ahead and we head to an information session at the end of October to find out all the stuff he will be doing at High School next year including a fantastic camp to Canberra ... which I would love to go on ... just not with 30 kids.

We headed to Glenelg today to finalise the details of Maestro's birthday party next week, we are going to the Beach House and then having a picnic on the reserve out front.  And I think we have a pretty good plan in place to keep all the boys busy, fingers crossed that the weather is going to be ok its been a little bit hit and miss lately.  

The stitchery above is something I am working on at the moment, it will be Steampunk inspired and I will be using some of Tim Holtz new fabric range.   I will also be incorporating some of my stash to give it a real scrappy feels so that if you like it and you can't get the same fabric you can feel like you can still have a go.  I might look into doing some fabric dyeing for the backgrounds to give an alternative to the print fabric so that it looks like old parchment and leave a tutorial on the blog.  That's the plan anyway.  I've decided to create stuff that makes me happy instead of trying to work out what stitchers, want that way if it isn't successful it won't be a total waste of time and effort.  And I think this design will be a bit OUT THERE for most.

Off for some more Ayurvedic tea now think I'll have the Ayurvedic Passion now.... that's the one of the left.

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Glad you survived the busy time at work and can have a little break now to de-stress (although kid's birthday parties have been known to be stressful in their own right!) sorry to hear about the bad teacher experience....my kids are (mostly) all teachers and work very hard to ensure their students have a great learning experience so it is sad to hear some others aren't as dedicated.

Leanne said...

Sounds like you have had a bad run. The boy will be better in high school as you are not with one teacher. Hope the birthday party goes well. Your stitchery looks very nice.

Shay said...

I hope things start getting better from here Amanda. It sounds like you've had a ghastly time of it.

I completely agree with you about the sleep thing. Not enough and Im a weeping mess too!

One term left with the she devil- its only 9 weeks...and then Maestro can start a whole new adventure.

Hope Squids issues have resolved and that you can focus now on doing some of the things that make YOUR heart sing.

Terry said...

Good for you doing what makes you happy. It's the only way to go! :0)

Kate said...

I love the sneak peak you show of your current project.

Glad you are past the worst of the work stuff. Being short on sleep and in pain makes all the work stuff that much worse. It's good that you managed to get yourself well.

It's miserable when the teacher is bad. Thankfully we've only had that once with DT. She's liking high school. Though I for one am glad the bug collection is done, turned in and there are no more frozen bugs in the spare freezer.