21 January 2011

Favourite Things Friday

My favourite things Friday is my Kids Birthday Cakes.  Most of these were before I returned to work so many weeks of planning were involved and many supplies were purchased. 

Here is my first effort, the birthday was jungle inspired for my son's 5th birthday.  We made painted monkeys to hang from the washing line, the cake well see for yourself was a jungle scene with monkeys and snakes attached.  Lots and Lots of Food Colouring involved here.  


Then for his 7th it was the Dr Who party and of course he wanted a Tardis.  At least when he was 5 he left it up to me, by the time he was 7 he wanted a lot (I mean a lot) of input, it was important that it looked good.  I think I nailed it.  


 Squid is a bit more easy going when cakes are concerned.  She just wanted fairies for her 5th birthday.

Can you tell I am working now here was the next years.  
 I think last year my son settled for a store bought ice cream cake.

Squid is having a couple of friends over for her birthday celebration tomorrow  and we have just finished cooking her cake (packet cake for ease and it is cooling as I write this) but we saw a store bought cake that she liked so I am going to ice it the same.  Her actual birthday is next week so we might get the bakery cake for the family party.

I have enjoyed sorting through photo's to find my cake extravaganzas and I can't believe that cute chubby 5 year old is now a skinny 10 year old.

Check out Mrs P for some more Favourite Things Friday

8 comments:

Leanne said...

I thought how cute he looked also. They must have been bouncing off the wall after that jungle cake.

Kate said...

It's amazing how fast they go from kindergarden to middle school. Love the Dr. Who cake.

Larri said...

Beautiful cakes! I bake my kids' birthday cakes too. My favorites were the years Son#2 was into Thomas the Train...simply iced and topped with one of his trains.

Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! :o)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SQUID! :o)

Marg said...

You have just reminded me of the trials and tribulations of trying to be super mum and making fabulous birthday cakes. Some were great, most, hmm, not so good. Yours are great, I especially love the jungle themed one

Helsie said...

I remember when the kids were little they would get out the Women's Weekly Kids Birthday Cake book and choose the one they wanted. Sometimes I had to do a bit of fast talking to change their minds !!
Cheers
Helen

Kirsten's Cooking said...

love this! You're very talented and patient :)

sometimes it makes me sad to look back at old photos - isn't it crazy how fast they grow up?

thea said...

How fun! You did a great job on the tardis!

Shay said...

Amanda you are just too talented. Poor Miss P has always been subjected to store bought (very expensive ) cakes because my unbaking skills are quite well known.

You on the other hand are simply amazing. I love all of these (cupcakes are very "in" you know and even that cake display amazed me) I might just steal the jungle idea for Little P and then con my mother into doing it !

Fantastic FTF!