13 July 2020

15 Minute Challenge - More School Holidays

Its the final week of school holidays.  Maestro starts back at Uni in a couple of weeks fingers crossed he will enjoy it this time around.  He is working lots at the restaurant so I don't know how he is going to fit it all in, only 1 day off last week.  He said he asked for the first week of Uni off so that he could get his head round it, fingers crossed they do the right thing by him.

Mo has been doing lots of homework as well as just hanging out.  She has a quite a few social interactions planned for this week.  She has to really push herself to attend these. She has been to an 18th birthday, is going to a sleepover (though she never sleeps over) with her primary school friends, and has another 18th birthday in 2 weeks time.  

We had a successful day, formal dress shopping and we only ended up going to 2 shops.  The 2nd shop was formal wear nirvana and Mo ended up trying on lots of dresses just for the fun of it.  She figured she wouldn't get to do it again.  It was a toss up between a butter yellow strapless dress and a navy one with a high neck no sleeves.  She looked more comfortable in the navy and it was very elegant with silver glitter giving it a shimmer.  We are on the lookout for a silver belt to finish it off and some shoes but she has some that she thinks will be ok with it.   We have to go back and have the hem done but we can wait a bit and look around for shoes.  

Mo gets quite anxious in shops especially when shop attendants make a fuss but in both shops we were left alone and the attendant's only helped when we asked for it so we had a good day and we were able to have lunch in an actual cafe which we haven't been able to do for months.  

I also picked up my new Juki on Thursday.   I have had a bit of a play with it over the weekend, but I managed to hurt my arm on Thursday, loading the washing machine of all things so I was a bit limited in what I could do.  

I purchased the quilting table as well which allows the machine to be used side on and I have been playing with that over the weekend.  The table takes up a fair bit of space but it will be amazing to quilt on.  I have only been using small practice pieces but it is so easy to use.  I tried out some ruler work on the weekend, something that I struggled with with the confines of the throat space of the Bernina.  


My only complaint about the Juki is the lighting.  My Bernina has a really good light around 3 sides that the Juki doesn't have.  The Juki has a real shadow under the arm that is really noticeable at night with overhead lighting (you can see it in the picture).    I did purchase a strip of LED sewing machine lights on ebay which were pretty cheap (under $20) just to see how they go,  There are other lighting units that are up to and over $100 on other dedicated sewing websites promising the best light but I want to see how the cheap LED's work first, I don't think I have to worry about true colour etc that these are promising I think that would be more for embroidery machines ... but I could be wrong.  






I had a 7 out of 7 this week.  Last night my arm was good enough to enable me to do some more cross stitch, I'm way behind on these projects, lots of the ladies on the facebook group have finished project 3 and I'm still stitch 2 but I think it is going to be very pretty when its finished.  This one I have run out of a couple of the threads so I had to find some dmc replacements and will switch some of the greens that I have left over from project 1.  
















3 comments:

Karen said...

I purchased the led lighting like you mention that is a strip that is supposed to stick to the machine. They would not stay attached on my Bernina. I hope you have better luck with them.

Kate said...

Sounds like a busy time for everybody. How annoying to handicap yourself just when you have a new toy to play with. Hope your arm is doing better and you've gotten in a bit more play time. Good luck to Maestro with his new Uni classess. Hope you've been able to get in some good stitching time this week.

Marian said...

I think you'd like the Inspired LED lights, available from there website, or on Amazon. They run about 30.00, I've got a review of them on my site as well as an additional post about them from last year right along row along time. However, they are very good lights and provide really nice lighting. They are somewhat like yours, but the little holders to hold the lighting area that goes behind the machine holds them in place much better and there is a separate lighting switch you can either stick on the side of your machine or leave off depending on what you prefer. They are really perfect for the Juki machines. I love the Inspired LED lights, and have them on every single one of my machines. Since I don't have a lot of lighting in my sewing room, those lights provide me with enough lighting so that I can sew at night or in the daytime. They just work beautifully.