18 January 2021

15 Minute Challenge and New BOM Thoughts

 The first week back at work was hard, mainly because people were still at home sleeping in while I had to get my butt out of bed.  It was even worse today when I slept in so no walk for me just up and get ready and go.  

It was a 6 out of 7 week for me,  I did quite a bit of appliqué, and a couple of nights of crochet (latest squares below) and thought about what this years BOM might look like. 


I wanted to base this years BOM  on this quilt which I used as a teaching sample about 5 years ago.  The name of the quilt is Deer Folk and was completed in 2015.  The instructions for each block are done but I didn't want to just redo this quilt.    


The first thought was that I would do a sampler quilt with various sized blocks but I just couldn't get much enthusiasm to finish a sample on EQ let alone get fabric out so I have changed my mind. The quilt consists of 6 blocks and when I did the original teaching notes, I supplied a graphic of what a quilt would look like made up each of the blocks. 

I had a bit more of a play in EQ and have decided to do a series of 1 block quilts utilising some of these blocks.  I have decided to call them the weekend quilt series as you should be able to make a small quilt using the blocks in a weekend (if you don't do anything else that is).  Personally this only happens when I go away for a girls weekend, I can't sit and sew for that long at the machine without feeling it but in theory it is doable.  

Here is the first block,  I have cut the whole quilt out and have used just over 100 different fabrics.   I just need to trim the stitched units and sew them together as 9 patches.   I'm hoping to get the first quilt pieced by next weekend at the latest.  The pattern will be released here to download for free for at least a month, and the plan is to release further patterns throughout the year.  I'm being careful not to overcommit  myself just incase things go belly up again.  I will probably use this quilt as a present so it is sure to be finished sooner rather than later fingers crossed.  


Mo got out into the potters shed this weekend and she made a tea pot.  Everything she does is a bit of an experiment until she is able to be consistent about shape and size of things.  She has set up a new instagram account for her art and pottery and she hopes to take commissions in the future.  

So how did your week go.  Head to Kates to see how everyone is going this week.  




1 comment:

Kate said...

That's a unique approach to a BOM, one block, one quilt each month. You could still offer a sampler option at the end of the year based on the blocks you do each month. That would give you time to play in EQ more. The tea pot looks pretty cool. What color is Mo going to glaze it? Hope this week you are more into the groove. I have to admit, I'm really missing vacation. Week three has just been hard.