02 September 2019

15 Minute Challenge and Class with Judy Newman

Another 7 out of 7 this week.  Have lots to do on borders that is going to be my main focus for the foreseeable future.  Here is the first border progress.


There is only 3 more weeks until Mo leaves for Japan, I'm a bit concerned about their Hong Kong stopover.  I don't think they will be going through customs there so hopeful all will be well.   Apart from my worry I think we are pretty much organised I just have to top up her travel card with spending money.

Back to sewing.  On the weekend I did a class with the lovely Judy Newman, who is very giving of her time and expertise.  Everyone worked on different projects and spent way to much money on fabric, patterns and templates.

I planned to start a new quilt with her this time as I had lost the plot on the last quilt I started with her and just didn't want to go there.   The quilt is called Sugar Plum, and I managed to finished 1 block the quilt has 25 don't know that mine will be that big.   I took my box of liberty prints and  I had purchased the backgounds and the main fabric a while ago.  Judy's classes are all hand piecing which makes it a lovely weekend without the whir of sewing machines and everything is slow paced hand work and you can work on whichever quilt of Judy's takes your fancy and she imparts all her know how.

As I said I finished 1 block.  I plan to just cut up a heap of pieces and pack them in bags so that I can just put blocks together when I need a break from all my other projects.  It will be very scrappy and I'm not going to plan the blocks to much just grab a piece and stitch.  I have lots and lots of fat 16th liberty to choose from.  All the background are soft muted checks and spots which will offset the business of the liberty prints.

The block is surprisingly easy to piece by hand, though the outer square can be sewn in by machine, but I chose to do it by hand this time.... that might change down the track.  2 straight days of stitching was so much fun and I have put my name down for next year as well.

So how is you challenge going.



The Quilters Meet and Greet starts 3/9/2019 so make sure you come back tomorrow and click enter the competition.  



1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like a fun and relaxing weekend. Your block turned out beautifully. Looking forward to seeing more blocks pop up here and there in the future.